Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Defining the Philistine.

Someone who turns lack of understanding into a prejudice.
i.e. "I don't understand it therefore it can not be understood"
The Philistine is a master practitioner of solipsism, he assumes that how he thinks and feels about something, is how everybody else thinks and feels about it, and that any evidence contrary to this, is simply the product of people being too cowardly to admit their opinions and feelings. He is unaware of his bigotry.
The Philistine thinks that he knows best in almost all situations he says things like "I'm not a clever man but atleast I've got common sense", and "I don't know nothing about art but I know what I like". In short the Philistine by his very nature will allways claim knowledge and authority over something when in fact all he has is ignorance and persistence.

Though I have throughout this essay used the word he, this is not to say that a women could not be a Philistine I was merely seeking to avoid the dreaded he forward slash she.

Forward slash: /

No comments: